From Russia with Love
Our extended Siberia Spirit family
Our socks are made by a small, family-owned manufacturing company located in the heart of Russia. Ekaterina, the owner, works closely with us to provide superior quality materials and an exceptional level of craftsmanship from her exclusively female workforce. We are continuously striving to insure fair wages and a safe work environment for the people involved in the production of our Siberia Spirit socks.
How do we make our socks?
Unlike most manufactured socks made primarily by machines, production of Siberia Spirit socks takes a more hands-on approach. To produce one pair of our artisanal-style socks, we utilize the talents of 6 skilled Russian women to make the finished product. The following, are the steps we use to create one pair of Siberia Spirit socks.
- Sock patterns, designed primarily by the founders of Siberia Spirit (Aleks and Linda), are sent to our Russian sock maker Katerina.
- Katerina, then, transfers our designs to a punched card for her knitting machines.
- Her female workers thread the machines with yarn and manually slide the carriage back and forth to create the main part of the sock.
- Then this portion is given to another person who adds the toe part of the sock.
- A third worker stitches the sock together.
- The socks are washed for about two hours, 2-5 pairs at a time. This process is called felting, and it is what gives Siberia Spirit socks their soft and fluffy feel and look.
- Once felted, the socks are placed on forms for shaping and drying.
- Finally, each sock is carefully inspected for imperfections, making sure it meets our high-quality standards.